Story By: BRETT DEYO / FONDA SPEEDWAY – FONDA, NY – After a ‘comeback season’ in 2019, legendary Fonda Speedway is poised for 2020.
During Saturday night’s Awards Banquet at Treviso by Mallozzi’s in Albany, N.Y., the tentative ‘20 schedule for the Track of Champions was released with returning favorites and new highlights.
Competitors will be treated to a resurfaced half-mile oval. More than 3,000 yards of fresh, rock-free clay was spread shortly after the completion of the season.
The first on-track activity is scheduled for Saturday, April 11 with an Open Practice session.
Opening Night will follow a week later on Saturday, April 18.
Two highlight events from last season return including the Bob Hilbert Sportswear Short Track Super Series (STSS) Fueled By Sunoco ‘Firecracker 50’ presented by Fuccillo Automotive Group on Wednesday, July 1 ($10,000-to-win STSS Modified and $2,000-to-win STSS Crate 602 Sportsman) and the $53,000-to-win Fonda 200 weekend Thursday-Saturday September 17-19.
Fonda ‘Loyalty Night’ is set for the second straight season on April 25 with Modifieds racing for a massive $8,000 to win.
The ‘Dollar Night’ is back on the schedule on May 9 featuring $1 grandstand admission. More than 4,000 race fans took advantage of that promotion a year ago.
Additionally, two $5 grandstand admission nights have been planned for the ’20 season: the first on June 6 and the second August 1.
Two legends of Fonda Speedway will be recognized in May: Lou Lazzaro Memorial Night May 16 featuring $4,444-to-win Sunoco Modifieds and a week later with the Dave Lape Tribute Twin 22s on May 23.
The Bill Ag Memorial Elimination Race is back on June 20 for Sunoco Modifieds.
For the first time in Fonda Speedway history, the Rapid Tire USAC East Coast Sprint Cars invade on June 27, partnered with a Friday night stop at Afton (N.Y.) Motorsports Park.
The A-Verdi Patriot Sprint Tour (PST) 360 Sprint Cars invade on June 13 as a compliment to the annual Fonda Hall of Fame Night.
CRSA Sprint Cars have two appearances planned: July 25 and Friday, September 18 as part of the 200 weekend.
After raising $15,700 last year for the Crossroads Center in Schenectady, N.Y., the One Zee Tees Autism Awareness Night returns to the schedule on July 18 with Sunoco Modified Twin 20s on the track.
Pro Stock competitors will compete for a larger $800 weekly winner’s share in ’20 and have a number of special events including the Hondo Classic June 6, a $1,776-to-win ‘Red, White and Blue Special’ on July 4 and Twin 15s on August 8.
The nostalgic Mohawk Valley Vintage Dirt Modifieds return on May 30, June 13, July 4, July 18 and August 15.
Weekly divisions include Sunoco Modifieds, Crate 602 Sportsman, Limited Sportsman, Pro Stocks and Street Stocks. Four Cylinder Cruisers again return on selected nights.
Championship points will run from April 18 through August 15.
Season passes for both the grandstands and pit area in addition to pit licenses are available now. Forms can be downloaded at the following link: http://www.thefondaspeedway.com/forms/
The ’20 schedule remains in the working stages. Additions and/or changes are possible. Marketing opportunities remain available by contacting the speedway office.
Since 1953, the ‘Track of Champions’ Fonda Speedway has hosted the best in stock car racing. Now under the management of BD Motorsports Media LLC, the speedway will operate weekly on Saturday nights from April through August plus several special events. Fonda Speedway is located on the Montgomery County Fairgrounds off New York State Thruway Exit No. 28 at 21 S. Bridge Street Fonda, NY 12068.
Fonda Speedway is on the web at www.thefondaspeedway.com. To learn more, call the office at 518.915.4395, like Fonda Speedway on Facebook www.facebook.com/thefondaspdwy or follow on Twitter: @thefondaspdwy.
Fonda Speedway 2020 Schedule of Events
All events are Saturdays unless noted otherwise
- April 11 – Open Practice (all divisions)
- April 18 – Season Opener: complete program
- April 25 – Fonda Loyalty Night – $8,000-to-win Sunoco Modifieds – complete program plus Four Cylinder Cruisers
- May 2 – Complete Program plus Four Cylinder Cruisers – $1,000-to-win Pro Stock
- May 9 – Dollar Night – $1 Grandstand Admission – All divisions plus Four Cylinder Cruisers – Flowers & Giveaways for Moms in Attendance!
- May 16 – Lou Lazzaro Memorial Night: Sunoco Modifieds: 44 laps, $4,444 to win plus other bonuses – $4 off admission with Lou Lazzaro tee-shirt
- May 23 – M.W. Roosevelt & Son/Roosevelt Towing & Recovery Dave Lape Tribute Night: Sunoco Modified Twin 22s – complete program plus Four Cylinder Cruisers
- May 30 – Complete program plus Mohawk Valley Vintage Dirt Modified Series (rain date for Dollar Night) – Regional Animal Shelter Benefit
- June 6 – $5 Night – $5 Grandstand Admission & NYSCCA Safety Night – Pro Stock Hondo Classic – Complete program plus Four Cylinder Cruisers – Meet & Greet Night
- June 13 – A-Verdi Storage Containers Hall of Fame Night – A-Verdi Patriot Sprint Tour 360 Sprint Cars – complete program plus Mohawk Valley Vintage Dirt Modifieds
- June 20 – Kelly’s Meat Market Night – Bill Ag Tribute Modified Elimination Races – Giveaways for Dads in Attendance!
- June 27 – School House Pools Night – Rapid Tire USAC East Coast Sprint Cars (first time ever) – complete program plus Four Cylinder Cruisers
- Wednesday, July 1 – Fuccillo Automotive Group Firecracker 50: Bob Hilbert Sportswear Short Track Super Series Fueled By Sunoco Modifieds 50 laps, $10,000 to win plus STSS Crate 602 Sportsman 25 laps, $2,000 to win
- July 4 – Red, White & Blue Special: Fireworks Extravaganza – Dollar Dog Night – Complete program, $1,776-to-win Pro Stocks plus Mohawk Valley Vintage Dirt Modifieds
- July 11 – Sampson Motorcar/Yellow Transportation Night – complete program, $1,000-to-win Pro Stocks plus Four Cylinder Cruisers
- July 18 – One Zee Tees presents Autism Awareness Night – Sunoco Modified Twin 20s plus Mohawk Valley Vintage Dirt Modified Series
- July 25 – Complete program plus CRSA Sprint Cars
- August 1 – $5 Night – $5 Grandstand Admission – all divisions plus Four Cylinder Cruisers
- August 8 – Complete program – Pro Stock Twin 15s
- August 15 – Benjamin Moore Paints Championship Night – All divisions plus Four Cylinder Cruisers and Mohawk Valley Vintage Dirt Modifieds
FONDA 200 WEEKEND: THURSDAY-SATURDAY SEPTEMBER 17-19
- Thursday, September 17 – Camper/Trailer Parking & Open Practice
- Friday, September 18 – Sunoco Modified Qualifying Races, CRSA Sprint Cars, Pro Stock $1,000 to win, Street Stocks $500 to win, Four Cylinder Cruisers
- Saturday, September 19 – $53,000-to-win Sunoco Modified Fonda 200 plus Crate 602 Sportsman $1,500 to win